Tuesday, January 24, 2012

CUTTING HOUSEWORK DOWN TO SIZE

 Shortly after I first got married an older woman friend gave me some advice about staying on top of housework.  She said to have a small list of “Basics” you do each day.  These are the bare essentials.  Do them first thing (after your devotions), and then if the day goes haywire or is filled with errands your home can be peaceful.  At least these things are in order. 

I’ve used this advice for almost 36 years.  It works well for me!  Here’s my list:
 
Basics:

  • Dishes
  • Beds
  • (Floors)
  • Clutter
  • (Laundry)
  • Dinner plan
  • Email, Calls
  • Make-up
I show “floors” and “laundry” here in parentheses because I used to have to do those daily when my kids were small, but now with the kids grown and mostly gone, I don’t do those every day. 
 
Adapt this list to your needs.  Decide what things must be done.  Then limit the time you spend on this.  It should take no more than 45 minutes to an hour.  Set a timer if that will help you.  Put on some snappy music.  Get ‘er done!  Then you can smile to yourself as the day unfolds and you are on top of the game.


Next time:  What about those other chores?  The Weekly Rotation

No comments:

Post a Comment